- MOVING SALE: At Thread and other stores.
July is always a good time for summer clearance sales, but this year add moving sales to the list. Several Heights and Hillcrest stores are getting ready to reopen in new digs, and if you’ve moved much yourself, you understand the desire to sell as much stuff as possible before you start packing the boxes.
First, though, a bit of news I didn’t have room for last time.
The Container Store, a catalog favorite for many an obsessive Central Arkansan, will be opening an actual store store in Little Rock next spring. It’ll be, not surprisingly, in the Midtowne shopping center, where several other of our previously catalog-only faves have landed. The store will take the space that had been planned for Wild Oats (that store’s move fell through after competitor Whole Foods bought the Wild Oats chain — the sale is pending federal regulators’ approval). Much as midtown residents might have liked to have an organic-food store in their neighborhood, the Container Store is probably a better fit for the center. For a preview: www.containerstore.com. Now if we can just get a Crate and Barrel…
Back to Kavanaugh. As I mentioned, lots of shuffling going on:
• That wall of fiberboard in front of Tulips is just temporary — the store has closed for remodeling. The new Tulips will have more space — it’s expanding into part of Dauphine’s space next door.
• I finally stopped by Jeante, a contemporary women’s clothing boutique that opened about two months ago at 5501 Kavanaugh, next to Thread. Lots of breezy halter tops, a couple of denim lines. I liked a long, multicolored, vertically striped halter dress ($98). Prices are generally between $40 and $100.
• Speaking of Thread, it will be joining the march to Pleasant Ridge Town Center by Aug. 1. (Scarlet is moving there this month.) Stop by now for the moving sale — the window mannequins looked good, although I didn’t have time to venture inside. Everything except denim is marked down 25 percent to 50 percent off.
• Proposals bridal shop is moving a block or two down the street to the former Attitudes and Latitudes/Gallery Sorelle space at 5913 Kavanaugh. The moving sale goes through July 25, and the store will reopen at the new location Aug. 1.
• Mertinsdyke Home is setting up shop temporarily in the Ice House Center space at 2611 Kavanaugh that had been occupied by Petite Pierre Fine Jewelry. They’re renovating the Cordell’s building in Riverdale for a permanent home.
• A bit further west, Dorothy Bentley’s (9816 N. Rodney Parham) is winding down its summer season with a clearance sale that’s got a couple more days. Then the store will close until late August to get ready for fall.
• Hoity Toity, the furniture/home décor store in the Bowman Curve shopping center, is going out of business. Everything’s marked down.
• Across the river, Lads and Ladybugs (higher-end baby items) is having its semi-annual clearance sale. The store is at 3225 JFK Blvd.
• Vesta’s is having a couple of trunk shows in the next few weeks: Carilyn Vaile July 26-28 (get a preview at www.carilynvaile.com) and Missoni Aug. 9-11.
News? Sales? Cool stuff?