What's Next?: SWEPCO plans a full press conference today at 2:00, at the State Chamber of Commerce building at 1200 W. Capitol. They'll discuss plans to appeal the Arkansas Court of Appeals decision to revoke the permit for the proposed plant in Hempstead County. They'll no doubt talk about all the people employed by the plant and make the case for continuing construction. However, they didn't play by the rules and should pay a price. I'll be there and report back this afternoon.
Passed: The American Clean Energy and Security Act passed the House of Representatives on Friday despite opposition from most of the Arkansas delegation (Boozman, Berry and Ross voting against). Vic Snyder had the guts to stand up for a cleaner, more energy efficient future. House Minority Leader John Boehner called the bill a "pile of shit." Paul Krugman writes today about the threat global warming deniers pose to our future.
If you watched the debate on Friday, you didn’t see people who’ve thought hard about a crucial issue, and are trying to do the right thing. What you saw, instead, were people who show no sign of being interested in the truth. They don’t like the political and policy implications of climate change, so they’ve decided not to believe in it — and they’ll grab any argument, no matter how disreputable, that feeds their denial.
A Little Humor: Call this blog what you wil, but it is hardly ever light-hearted. Here's a top ten list from Un-Natural Gas. Sometimes you gotta laugh to keep from crying.
Top Ten Reasons Why Gas Drilling Rocks
10. Creates jobs for road repair crews, EMTs, lawyers, nurses, physicians, marriage counselors, firefighters, law enforcement officers, & meth dealers & has added bonus of providing extra income for corrupt politicians
9. Drilling noise easily drowns out next-door neighbor’s kid’s garage band
8. Devastated landscape, loss of green space, & clouds of killer smog mean less hiking & biking & LOTS more time for TV
7. Eliminates hours of tedious trout fishing by “pre-killing” your catch
6. Flammable tap water livens up any party
5. Putting off the inevitable switch to renewable energy sources is the American way
4. Fulfills your California-dreamin’ fantasies by bringing earthquakes to YOUR home town
3. Makes slow & boring process of disintegration of the American community a lot more exciting by actively setting neighbor against neighbor
2. Provides important object lesson on why you should read a gas lease BEFORE you sign it
1. Helps the kids learn that money is more important than anything else