I like making lists. I like music. And I like food. So, with the holiday eatin' season upon us, I thought it timely to share with you my top 10 favorite songs about food. Here it goes...
1. Cornbread, Peas and Black Molasses- Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee (An Introduction to Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee)
2. Pecan Pie- Golden Smog (Stay Golden, Smog: The Best of Golden Smog- The Rykodisc Years)
3. Big Cheeseburgers & Good French Fries- Blaze Foley (Sittin' by the Road)
4. Beans for Breakfast- Johnny Cash (The Mystery of Life)
5. Peace, Love & BBQ- Marcia Ball (Peace, Love & BBQ)
6. Mama Bake a Pie (Daddy Kill A Chicken)- Tom T. Hall (Storyteller, Poet, Philosopher)
7. Cornbread Moon- Joe Ely (Honky Tonk Masquerade)
8. Homegrown Tomatoes- Guy Clark (Songs and Stories)
9. Cornbread and Butterbeans- Carolina Chocolate Drops (Genuine Negro Jig)
10. Polk Salad Annie- Tony Joe White (Rhino Hi-Five: Tony Joe White)
Amy Garland Angel is a songwriter, social worker, mom, wife, community radio d.j. and avid list maker. She started playing guitar and writing songs at the age of nine. As a young girl, she was a regular on Hayride stages and as a teenager, she made her rounds in the Hwy 80 honky tonks of Louisiana with a fake I.D. Garland Angel moved to Arkansas in 1995. During her years in the Natural State, she has become a fixture in the Little Rock music scene and began hosting the weekly Americana-flavored "Backroads" radio show on Little Rock's KABF FM 88.3.