by Robert Bell
OK folks, the mercury is dropping and it's tolerable to be outside, the pigskins are flying and school is solidly back in session, all of which can mean only one thing: it's almost time for the Arkansas State Fair, which is Oct. 14-23.
So when you've finished stuffing yourself with fried everything and you've spent a fortune to win your sweetheart a neon orange stuffed gorilla and you're finally tired of the Tilt-a-Whirl, how 'bout checking out some live music. All of these shows are free with regular paid admission.
Here are some of the highlights:
* Friday, Oct. 14, long about 8:15 p.m., Kenny Wayne Shepherd plugs in and channels SRV the way only he can do.
* Sunday, Oct. 16, at 7 p.m., you will be literally overwhelmed by Southern rock, when Confederate Railroad opens up for The Marshall Tucker Band.
* Wednesday, Oct. 19, beginning at 7:30 p.m. The Monsters of Classic Rock will melt your mullet off.
* Thursday, Oct. 20, at 8:15 p.m. prepare yourself for country music legend and Grammy winner Travis Tritt.
* Friday, Oct. 21, at 7 p.m., there will be an eruption of classic rock, as Foghat and Jefferson Starship take flight.