Much debate here lately about what constitues Arkansas food. So here's a forum for which to discuss said foods.
In my own travels, I've discovered a few things.
- About 85 percent of all the Arkansas restaurants I have visited serve some variation on a Reuben sandwich.
- The almost universal item common to Arkansas menus is the inclusion of pie -- sometimes the round sort with meringue, sometimes a fried pie, but always some sort of pie.
- The one item that I have yet to see on a menu outside of Arkansas: fried Petit Jean bologna sandwich.
- We tend to serve our catfish up with a slice of raw onion.
- The older the restaurant, the more likely it is you will be presented with a basket of crackers and pats of butter or margarine.
- I've only rarely seen purplehull peas on a menu, and that's a damn shame.
- We tend to have cole slaw on our barbecue sandwiches.
So... here you go. I'm very interested to see what else comes up out of this conversation.