In case you need any extra help getting fired up, we’ll be providing a handy pre-game cheat sheet detailing why you should hate each one of the Razorbacks’ opponents this fall. Some weeks will be easier than others…
1. They Screwed Up Our 2006 Mojo. Things were going swimmingly for the Razorbacks as they headed into last year’s Thanksgiving weekend match-up against LSU in Little Rock: Arkansas had won 10 games in a row, was ranked No. 5 in the country, had already claimed the outright SEC West title and was even in the national championship picture. But JaMarcus Russell passed for 210 yards and two touchdowns, and the No. 9 Tigers walked out of War Memorial Stadium with a wild 31-26 victory despite 182 rushing yards from Darren McFadden and 137 from Felix Jones. Poor Casey Dick completed only three of 17 passes for 29 yards. This heartbreaking and very winnable game kicked off a stretch of three similar Hog losses that closed out what had been a magical season.
2. LSU Fans Make Hating Easy. Yes, we have to say we admire the fact that, after a 1988 upset of Auburn, the LSU home crowd’s reaction was so mighty that it registered on a nearby seismograph. And our arms could be twisted into partaking of the famous Saturday afternoon Death Valley tailgating extravaganza. Still … anybody who has attended an LSU game can testify to the sheer, unrelenting and often frightening obnoxiousness of Tiger fans. Perhaps the “batshit crazy” tag is better applied to the fans of this SEC West team.
3. They’re Lucky. Make no mistake: We recognize LSU is good, occasionally even scary good. But, the Tigers have also led something of a charmed life this season. Against the Gators, LSU converted five fourth downs, one of which was a fourth-and-1 inside the Florida 10 with about 2 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter – when a field goal would have tied the game. Against Auburn, the Tigers won on a last-second 22-yard TD pass to Demetrius Byrd. Had the pass been batted away, LSU likely wouldn’t have had the opportunity to kick a potential game-winning field goal. Maybe we’re just jealous – but, still, it drives us nuts.
4. They Have Our Number. Ever since the 2002 "Miracle on Markham St." (which, to be honest, was more miraculous than it was a decisive win...it sure was great, though) the Tigers have completely owned the Hogs. Frankly, it's hard for us to be a consistent threat to win the SEC West when these guys are standing in the way every year. Dammit, we want that silly Boot back!
5. Their Coaching Drama Is Stealing the Spotlight from Our Coaching Drama. Just when we were settling into the twisted madness that is the Houston Nutt Saga, along comes the Is Les Miles Going To Michigan Saga. All year long we've rested easy at night knowing that, if nothing else, the Hogs surely best all comers in the category of wacky, soap opera-esque craziness surrounding the program. Now, as Miles' hypothetical career moves begin to overshadow the Tigers' very real quest for the national championship, we don't even own this category anymore. Is nothing sacred??
(more at www.razorbackexpats.com)