Simmons Foods isn’t proposing a poultry facility – it’s planning the development of a massive poultry processing facility that will change the quality of life in Benton County. A few basic facts on the proposed Simmons operation:Stop a poultry plant in Republican-controlled Northwest Arkansas? That would be a surprise. I'm surprised the group didn't also mention Simmons recent run in the news for being accused of using workers from drug rehab programs who receive no pay for their work. Money paid by Simmons goes to the rehab agency.
* The plant will process enough animals to produce a whopping 800 million pounds of chicken per year
* It will operate 24 hours a day with trucks moving on and off the plant site every 6 minutes
* The operation will use more than 12 million gallons of water per week
* It will need a labor force of approx. 1,500 employees, the vast majority being low-wage positions
* There is no current plan to conduct a traffic study or an environmental impact report
* The Simmons plan contains a faulty parking scheme that does not meet Federal safety standards