ASU on lockdown again | Arkansas Blog

ASU on lockdown again


Arkansas State University and KASU are reporting on Twitter accounts that the campus is on lockdown after three armed men were seen near the Student Union. The university said the campus is on lockdown "until further notice."

Initial ASU tweets said two men; later reports from the university and the radio station said there were three men. The university is asking that students stay indoors "until an all clear is given."

It's the second time since December ASU has locked down the campus because of guns. On Dec. 10, a man drove a truck onto campus while holding what appeared to be a shotgun. He surrendered to police after an hour and a half.

UPDATE: While I was typing this, ABC had an update saying the lockdown has been lifted.

UPDATE: The whole thing was a false alarm, triggered by students in costume working on a film project. Here's a statement from the university:

Statement from Arkansas State University:

Numerous first responders from the University Police Department, Jonesboro Police Department, Craighead County Sheriff’s Office, Arkansas State Police and other law enforcement agencies worked swiftly and cooperatively this afternoon in response to what eventually turned out to be a false alarm on the campus.

Apparently students were filming a video project near the Union, and costumed actors were reported as possible campus intruders. These students have been located and interviewed by University Police Officers. As a result, it has been confirmed that there was no gunman on campus.

The university immediately put a lockdown in place while the Union and surrounding areas were searched and cleared. The university’s text and email alert system was used to notify students about the situation.

Chancellor Tim Hudson, Vice Chancellor Rick Stripling, and other representatives of the university administration also responded to campus to assist in the crisis response.

No injuries were reported, and normal campus operations have resumed.

The University Police Department will continue to closely monitor the campus this evening as a precautionary measure.

Chancellor Hudson expressed the university’s appreciation to all law enforcement personnel who responded so quickly to the perceived threat.

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

Add a comment