by Max Brantley
.. the property is significant not only for its association with William E. Woodruff, but also for its rarity as a brick antebellum house and for the historic archeological information that the site might reveal. William Woodruff, in addition to founding the first newspaper published west of the Mississippi River, was extremely active and influential in local and state politics in Arkansas. Woodruff became one of the state's most important and colorful historical figures through his business interests, political connections, and efforts to promote the state. His commitment to Arkansas and the South also led him to volunteer in his late 60s for service with the Confederate army in the Civil War, in which he rose to the rank of colonel. The Woodruff House was an urban farmstead surrounded by several ancillary structures which were associated with its agricultural activities. The location served as Woodruff's final home until his death in 1885.
Today, the Woodruff House is vacant and in need of restoration. It is located in an underutilized part of downtown, adjacent to several vacant lots and could serve as an anchor for revitalization efforts in the area. It has been listed on the Historic Preservation Alliance of Arkansas's Most Endangered Places list since 2007.