by Max Brantley
* Construct a 1,000 bed maximum security prison using a 30-year “wrap-around” bond issue estimated to cost $231 million (including principal and interest), excluding annual maintenance and operations expenses. The debt service would be covered by raising car tag decals by $2 annually.
* Review the successes and failures of Act 570, which altered sentencing guidelines.
* Mitigate longer sentences utilizing correctional interventions and re-entry programs.
* Consider using abandoned school buildings across the state rather than new construction to expand re-entry programs.
* Enlarge and expand the existing drug court program.
* Consider a private corrections management service provider that purports to have a lower per-inmate daily cost.
* Expand the Smarter Sentencing program in order to mitigate longer sentences.
* Consider funding the increase in the Arkansas Community Correction transitional beds program.