by Max Brantley
The National Merit Scholarship semi-finalist list was released today and it includes 143 Arkansans among the 16,000 named nationwide.
Fayetteville High School easily topped Arkansas high schools this year with 21 semi-finalists, followed by Little Rock Central with 12, Conway High West with 11, Bentonville with eight, Cabot with 7 and Pulaski Academy with 6. Thus, more than 30 percent of the winners came from the top three high schools. (They are not the biggest by the way: Bentonville is the state's largest high school, Cabot is third, Conway fourth, Central fifth and Fayetteville sixth.)
The Pulaski report:
* LITTLE ROCK SCHOOL DISTRICT (13): 12 at Central and 1 at Parkview
* PULASKI COUNTY DISTRICT (3): 2 at Mills, 1 at Sylvan Hills.
* NORTH LITTLE ROCK (0): zero.
* PRIVATE SCHOOLS (21): Pulaski Academy, 6; LR Christian, 4; Episcopal Collegiate, 4; Catholic High, 3; Central Arkansas Christian, 2; Mount St. Mary, 1; Arkansas Baptist, 1.
* HOME SCHOOLED (2): 2. (I missed one of these originally.)
Here's the list of all state winners, by school.