by Max Brantley
The line is open. Closing out:
* LOTTERY: Gov. Mike Beebe reappointed Dr. George Hammons of Warren to the Arkansas Lottery Commission.
* 'PRAY FOR BRAINS': Great commentary in Texas Observer on Rick Perry, the Texas drought and faith. But I got to wondering: You think Perry might round up a posse to go after Arkansas water?
* HOUSE SPEAKER: The race for House speaker in 2012 is boiling down to Darrin Williams (D) vs. Terry Rice (R). But I don't think custom and manners will leave a Democratic winner in place should the November election change the House majority. Which could explain why Williams is working so hard on Democratic legislative races.
* WHISTLEBLOWER: In a lawsuit filed in Arkansas, Accenture will pay $63.7 million to settle whistleblower allegations about kickbacks on U.S. government tech purchases.
* JONESBORO BUSTS JOHNS: New wrinkle in crime fighting in Jonesboro (where the cops have apparently wiped out everything else of significance.) They put an undercover officer at a motel and advertised on the Internet, then arrested 11 men, apparently for offering money for sex they believed to be on offer.