It's open. Last thoughts:
* BLACK AND WHITE AND RED INK ALL OVER: More down-side newspaper news today, the consolidation of some 11 Northern California newspapers into two and the loss of 120 jobs. Local angle is that one owner of the newspapers is Stephens Media Group, an arm of the Little Rock-based Stephens financial empire.
* PRYOR KNOWLEDGE: Arkansas Media Watch catches U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor acting like a Republican, in a speech in NWA.
Pryor said various tax breaks have created a system in which 45 percent of Americans don’t pay taxes. “It’s hard to have a fair tax system where only about half the people are paying,” he said.
Pryor is playing the Republican playbook card, but he should at least play it accurately. 45 percent of Americans, or thereabouts, don't pay federal income tax, but they most certainly pay federal payroll taxes and many other forms of taxes. Not the same thing as what Pryor said and it's a slander to working people when he or the GOP say it.
* HUCKABUCK: It's Mike Huckabee's 56th birthday. Naturally, he has a birthday wish — send his PAC cash.
* SEARCH FOR A KILLER: Filmmaker Peter Jackson, who was a key financier in the fight to free the West Memphis 3, says he'll continue to finance an investigation to find the killers of three West Memphis children.
* GUILT BY ASSOCIATION: I noted this Twitter today by Lt. Gov. Mark Darr, responding to a critic who cited an article about, not Mark Darr, but another Republican Mark, free-spending Secretary of State Mark Martin. It read:
The article isnt ab me RT @Lavionne: WHY are you wasting taxpayer dollars on consultants to do your job?
I can tell you that Darr is not alone among Republicans in feeling some discomfort on account of the Mark Martin clown car act.
* HEALTH CARE EXPANSION: Another new expansion of health care services announced today, an alliance between CARTI and other medical groups for a broader array of cancer treatment services in a new center to be built somewhere in Little Rock. Talk Business reports.
* APPLE NEWS: What about Steve Jobs' resignation as CEO? Black crepe on Apple store opening in LR?