Thanks to Jason Tolbert for the news release from Mark Martin on the secretary of state's staff decisions. We didn't get the release. It remains to be seen if he'll enforce a Huckabee policy of denying press services to critics. He has an experienced hand for that — Huckabee's former press aide, Alice Stewart, is among the people joining Martin, along with such familiar names as former Family Council lawyer Martha Adcock, small business lobbyist Eric Munson and sundry other Huck hands. Former legislator Doug Matayo's job as chief of staff had been announced previously. His executive assistant, Teresa Belew, is the former head of Mothers Against Drunk Driving.
UPDATE: A cheery Alice Stewart said it was just a glitch that kept a news release from my in-box and that the Times will be receiving Martin information. A happy note to start the New Year.
(Speaking of old Huck hands, his former aide Rex Nelson was named today as new director of the Arkansas Independent Colleges and Universities. He'd been working in PR at the Communications Group since a previous political job with the Delta Regional Authority ended. Nelson succeeds Kearney Dietz, who's led the group that represents 11 private schools.)
The Martin release follows:
Arkansas Secretary of State-Elect Mark Martin announced today members of his senior management team who will join him as he takes the oath of office next Tuesday, January 11, 2011.
“It was important for me to have a management team that includes leaders with experience in both the public and private sector,” Secretary of State-Elect Martin said. “All of these people have impressive job skills and education; they also share my commitment to do the right thing, rather than the re-elected thing.”
The following people will join Martin’s senior management team:
• Doug Matayo — Chief Deputy
• Joseph Wood — Deputy Director of Communications and Education
• A.J. Kelly — Deputy Director of Elections, Legal, and Business & Commercial Services
• Alice Stewart- Deputy Director of Public Affairs
• Martha Adcock — Elections Director
• Kelly Boyd — Director of Governmental Affairs
• Eric Munson — Business & Commercial Services Di rector
• Tracy Horne — Special Projects Director
• Judith Crouch — Human Services Manager
• Teresa Belew — Executive Assistant
These staff members join veteran Secretary of State management team members:
• Steve Brummett — Director of Buildings & Grounds
• Jim Comer — Director of Mechanical & Electrical
• Chief Darrell Hedden — Chief of Capital State Police
• Cecil Davis — Director of Information Technology
“I’m honored to have such a talented team from across the state as we set out to work on the diverse responsibilities ahead, chief among them, overseeing fair elections in Arkansas.”