The blue ribbon panel on highway construction has come up with five ideas to keep highway contractors working.
Four of them are tax increases. One of them would shift existing tax revenue from schools, health care and prisons to highways. This year, it's hard to imagine any of these are serious contenders for approval. From Roby Brock:
Panel members did not agree on all of the recommendations, which include:
* Indexing the gas and diesel excise tax
* Levying a new excise tax on the wholesale price of motor fuels
* Transferring general fund revenues on sales related to automobiles and transportation products
* Proposing a 10-year highway bond program funded by a half-cent increase in the general sales tax
* Increasing state aid to counties through an indexed one cent fuel tax