ARKANSAS JUDICIAL NETWORK
Grassroots Coalition Formed to Mobilize for SCOTUS Hearings
Little Rock -- On Thursday (June 4, 2008), key organizations from around Arkansas announced the formation of a “center-right” coalition, the Arkansas Judicial Network, in preparation for the nomination hearings of Judge Sonia Sotomayor.
The initial coalition will consist of the following individuals and/or organizations:
· Anne Britton – NRA National Volunteer of the Year (2000)
· Jerry Cox – President, Arkansas Family Council
· Betsy Hagan – Chairman, Arkansas Chapter of Eagle Forum
· Doyle Webb -- Chairman, Republican Party of Arkansas
· Brian Vandiver – Attorney and Chairman of the Arkansas Federalist Society
· Cory Cox -- Attorney and former Chairman of the Arkansas Federalist Society
· David Fort – Small Business Owner and Chairman, Arkansas Federation of Young Republicans
This Arkansas Judicial Coalition will partner with the Judicial Confirmation Network (JCN), (www.judicialnetwork.com) to ensure that Arkansans understand the judicial philosophy of Barack Obama’s appointee to the United States Supreme Court, Sonia Sotomayor.
“Gun rights’ groups should be wary of President Obama’s nominee to the Supreme Court,” stated Anne Britton the 2000 National Volunteer of the Year for the NRA. Citing a 2004 Circuit Court decision (U.S. v. Sanchez-Villar) which states that a “right to possess a gun is clearly not a fundamental right,” Britton continued, “Decisions affirming that the right to gun ownership is not a fundamental right should be troubling to all Arkansans, and I look forward to her explanation.”
“Judge Sotomayor has earned the opportunity to defend her record and her statements regarding her judicial philosophy,” stated Jerry Cox, President of Arkansas Family Council. “However, her view that the judiciary ‘makes policy’ is troubling for me, and we stand ready to mobilize our supporters to communicate her activist judicial philosophy.”
For additional information on Judge Sonia Sotomayor and her judicial philosophy, please visit www.aboutsoniasotomayor.com.