A roundup of news from a full e-mail basket after a long absence from the keyboard:
1) INDUSTRY: As expected, the Indian concern Welspun, today announced plans for construction of a $100 million steel tube plant by the Little Rock Port. It will employ 300 and should open by spring of 2008.
2) MIKE HUCKABEE: He's in Iowa, promising a fight to finish in the Iowa straw poll, though it sounds like his money report tonight will be small.
3) NEIGHBORHOOD ISSUE: The LR Planning Commission will decide July 19 whether to allow Trinity Episcopal Cathedral to close the 1600 block of Spring Street for use by the Cathedral School. Some in the neighborhood aren't happy about the idea of closing the through street, others are fine with it. The Downtown Neighborhood Association will hear from Cathedral July 12.
4) FOOD: If you're not already checking it regularly, our Eat Arkansas blog has good tomato news, good watermelon news and, if you're of a mind to argue, an open line on barbecue preferences.
5) ARKANSAS IMAGES: Inspired by our snap from the Chat and Chew yesterday, free-lance photographer Piney Woods unearths this shot from May when he attended an outdoor wrestling program in Paragould. The point here is that the big speaker in the Crown Vic is the PA for the rasslin' match. But the good old boys on hand found the activities of a working garbage truck more entertaining than the rasslin' underway in the opposite direction. These fellows could be blood kin of Maynard G. Krebs.