by Max Brantley
Today's news came a while back on the Arkansas Blog. Episcopal Collegiate today released an official announcement of its plan to expand into elementary grades. The letter being distributed notes that the Cathedral School declined an opportunity to "transition" to the Collegiate campus.
Letter on the jump.
EPISCOPAL COLLEGIATE LETTER
May 23, 2007
Dear Episcopal Collegiate School Families and Friends,
I am writing to share some very exciting news! After spending the academic year in study and deliberation, the Board of Trustees is pleased to announce the decision to develop a K-5 lower school division on Episcopal Collegiate School’s campus.
In August 2006, the Board began discussions regarding enrollment trends at our main feeder school. If current enrollment trends continue, The Cathedral School will offer considerably less than the customary sixty students for possible matriculation into Episcopal Collegiate School’s sixth grade classes. In October 2006, at our request, members of the Boards of Trustees of Episcopal Collegiate School and The Cathedral School met to discuss the aforementioned enrollment trends and the future of Episcopal primary education in our community.
Episcopal’s Board of Trustees considered the fact of these enrollment trends, along with additional research and shared data from a national independent school consultant retained by The Cathedral School, and the Board concluded that the best decision to ensure consistent and thriving enrollment as well as to maximize Episcopal Collegiate School’s full potential is to add a lower school division on the Jackson T. Stephens campus.
Episcopal Collegiate School’s Board of Trustees hoped that there could have been a transition of The Cathedral School’s elementary school program into Episcopal Collegiate School’s new lower school division, given some common history that our schools share; however, The Cathedral School desires to remain at its current location.
Following the launch and completion of a successful Capital Campaign, we envision opening the new lower school division in the fall of 2009. Episcopal Collegiate School’s new lower school division will offer:
· A new, state-of-the-art lower school facility consistent with the architectural standard on our beautiful 31+ acre campus
· A traditional K-12 independent school model that will strengthen the entire program by allowing for a seamless curriculum
· A secured campus with controlled access
· A single school for families with multiple children in grades K-12
· A central location that is easily accessible from all directions
· A commitment to continue to provide excellent administration and faculty for grades K-12
· A nurturing environment including a Chapel program
· A commitment to character development, upholding our School’s motto of Respect, Reverence, and Responsibility.
All of these positive factors contributed to the unanimous decision by the Board of Trustees to embark on this exciting next step in the history of Episcopal Collegiate School. We look forward to celebrating this milestone together at the Capital Campaign kick-off in August.
Have a great summer and please share Episcopal Collegiate School’s wonderful plans for the future!
Jeanne Joyner, President
Board of Trustees